Geriatric Education for EMS provides care providers of all scopes and levels with the skills and knowledge to address the unique medical, social, environmental, and communication challenges of older adults. Developed by NAEMT, in partnership with the American Geriatrics Society, GEMS empowers EMS providers to help improve medical outcomes and quality of life for geriatric patients.
GEMS features case-based lectures, live action video, hands-on skill stations, simulation and small group scenarios to fully engage students in the learning experience.
- Changes with age
- Assessment of older adults
- Pharmacology and medication toxicity
- Psycho-social emergencies
- Elder abuse
- End-of-Life care issues
- Cardiovascular respiratory emergencies
- Neurological emergencies and altered mental status
- Mobile integrated healthcare
- Special considerations for older adults in disaster response
- Skin and wound care
- Medical devices frequently used by older adults
Two GEMS courses are available, a core and an advanced course. These courses may be offered separately or sequentially. Both courses are appropriate for all levels and scopes of practice from basic emergency care providers to physicians.
All information provided by: